Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Colorado 2011.

We were able to go back to Colorado this year, in July. It was a wonderful trip! We did lots of driving around the beautiful country, the typical sight seeing (royal gorge, cliff dwellings).
We also got to watch my Uncles L & J race in the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. It was amazing!!

PPIHC, was such a memorable event. We watched from Devils Playground. 16 miles up the peak, if I recall correctly. We camped out for the day on a snow bank. We left our rental house at 2:30-3:00 am. Never went to sleep the night before :) crazy? Yes!
It was truly an awesome event though. Fast cars, bikes, dune buggies. Missed a great photo op of Paul Walker (stinkin). We ate out of a cooler for lunch, endured 60+ mph winds. Yes, our lunch was laden with small edible pebbles and dirt. Yum. The race was over about 5:00pm. We finally got off the peak about 8:30pm. Was a great long day! Glad for the Family memories, and fun times!

We also went to the Royal Gorge. Which was our second time. We panned for gold this time, kids love it. Due to high winds, My Man wasn't able to ride the sky coaster. He was bummed, I was happy. It's scar-eeee looking. We rode the cog rail down to the bottom of the gorge. Gorgeous gorge view! Of course I trembled my way across the bridge--- TWICE! eeek. I was praying the whole way across :). It is a beautiful view. But again. Scar-eeee!

We also went to the Manitou Cliff Dwellings. For the first time. It's neat, seems somewhat overpriced for the small amount of touristy enjoyment. But the kids thought it was neat. I got almost stuck in one of the little rooms. True story! Several people were standing outside the ladder, I was in the top story room. Being completely modest while exiting a open window type opening was my main concern. Needless to say it was a chore. My Man basically pulled me out backwards :) what a sweetie. Lou semi panicked, thinking Mommy was stuck forever!!!! Not a pretty sight. All was well thought thanks to Daddy-O!

My fave thing was just driving around the beautiful country. Rampart Range Road Rocks! It's a side road from Garden of the Gods. Which is a great free, scenery, beautimous spot. We drove miles, and miles and miles down Rampart Road. Did a little four wheeling in the ole aztek :) heehee FUN! Blew the water pump, which My Man said was NOT my fault. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, by George!

Rampart had a reservoir lake. That was postcard beautiful. Pyrite was scattered all over, we thought we hit the gold jackpot! The boat ramp glittered in the sun. Had a wonderful picnic with the cousins.

So blessed to of been able to take this trip with our Family and extended Family. Defiantly made tons of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment